Rate this song

H6BGhV.jpg

Great artists know that it’s never enough to think outside the box – you have to act outside of it. Thinking without action is passive, and Atlanta-based R&B mastermind Velate is too much of a warrior to sit back and let success come to him. Fueled with urgency and an insatiable desire to prove his worth, the up-and-coming artist has made ripples across Georgia, working with the region’s most notable producers, and winning over fans with his compelling songwriting and unforgettable hooks.

Raised in Detroit and relocated to Atlanta in 2005, Andrew "Velate" Spencer has always been around music. Growing up in Michigan in a household that played Marvin Gaye, Baby Face, Luther Vandross, and Aretha Franklin, he later found inspiration in R. Kelly, Boyz II Men, and Usher. And while he performed in the church choir at the age of 9, his true foray to the stage began in high school. “What first inspired me to perform was a talent show I did,” he explains. “The reaction of the crowd was a feeling I had never felt before. I made my decision right then and there that I wanted to be a performer.”

Full of ambition, Velate moved to Atlanta after high school to pursue a career in music – and his decision seems to have paid off. He’s worked with renowned producers such as Kenny Hickson (Boyz II Men, Carl Thomas) and Bolo Da Producer (Future, Jamie Fox), released a mixtape with local rapper King Shump (titled "Game Recognize Game") that went viral online, and his single "Sore Loser" debuted at #25 on the DRT National Airplay Top 80 Independent Chart, #20 on the DRT National R&B/Hip Hop Charts, and #182 on DRT National Top 200. He’s also written music for hip hop sensation Silento', and is a frequent collaborator with numerous Atlanta rappers.

But his success hasn’t come easy, and Velate always seems to be staring adversity in the face and overcoming obstacles. In February 2015, his brother Alexander Spencer Jr. tragically died, causing his entire life to crumble. "My older brother Alex was my world," he says. "His only dream was for me to live my dream."

And living that dream is what Velate plans to do. Currently working on new material, he’s turning his misfortune into fortune. “I want people to know that it's okay to be vulnerable, it's okay to display complete honesty in your music. Because the pain you do share might heal someone else's.”

Follow @TheRealVelate on twitter!

Instagram: @TheRealVelate

Leave feedback

Leave an honest comment below. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Leave feedback...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.