Rate this song

1zwnk2b.jpg

Born to a West African mother and an African-American and Filipino father in the Bronx, Filapine grew up and went to school in New Jersey and the tough New York City borough and as a child traveled to Sierra Leon, London and Germany. His travels birthed his love of music, all music. Filapine’s been performing since he was 10 years old. Growing up, he listened to Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Marvin Gaye, African and European music. With a culturally unrestricted sound and style, Filapine’s music is a universal blend of pop, rock, and urban. For Filapine, music is intimate. “My music is personal. My music is who I am. It’s not cliché; it’s not a gimmick. It’s my life story; it’s who I am.” Filapine’s music is his life’s journey which he freely opens to all to partake. One of 12 children, Filapine’s father wasn’t around, and the family struggled. “Coming up as a young kid with no father around in my life was the hardest thing for me that I had to face in life because I had to learn how to be a man on my own even though my mother played the role of a dad. I still had to learn some things about being a man on my own.” Filapine doesn’t shy away from the human experience, in all it’s joy, pain, celebrations and complexities.

Recognizing Filapine’s unique musical talents and unlimited restricted flow, music sensation, Akon, invited Filapine into the studio for a collaborative project. The result is the song “Rock” that’s slamming the charts. “Akon is like family to me. He called me and told me he got a track he wanted to listen to it. I wrote the hook and it just happen. It came out pretty hot.” Along with Akon, Filapine has also collaborated with Mega Bonton, Jagged Edge and Brandi Williams, just to name a few. His single "Like a Dream," debuted at number seven on the top 100 in Johannesburg, South Africa. Filapine has also worked with famed producer and rapper, Jazzy Pha on this new album. While Filapine loves bringing his unique energy and sound to the music of others, he’s exciting about his own project.

Follow @Filapine on twitter!

VIDEO:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Filapine/185746371451726

http://www.myspace.com/filapine

Download Filapine - The Struggle Main

Leave feedback

Leave an honest comment below. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Leave feedback...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.