HipHopBlog

Mick Jagger Praises Damian Marley

Rate this topic

''Damian Was Doing This Really Good Toasting''
4:30PM ET September 22nd, 2011
Contributor : Stephen Willis
A Rocky Williform Company

Mick Jagger Praises Damian Marley

Damian Marley, Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, A.R. Rahman and Dave Stewart formed a somewhat unusual supergroup this year, dubbing themselves SuperHeavy. Both Mick and Marley recently spoke about the experience and the music that they made together.

âFor me, it was a great experience to get together and experiment with other musicians,â Marley told Billboard. âI wasn't familiar with everyone else's music before the project.â

Jagger said that neither he nor Stewart came into the studio with songs, hoping to foster a more collaborative spirit among all of the various artists involved. Jagger even found himself spitting rhymes.

âI was just copying Damian,â Jagger told The Hollywood Reporter. âI do a little bitâ¦I went toasting, we call it, but it is the same thing [as rapping]. Damian was doing this really good toasting, West Indian rapping, so I thought, âI could do that. It canât be that difficult.â It actually was quite difficult. With a bit of practice, it is all right. It is a laugh.â

Jagger also revealed that there was plenty of alcohol in the studio, as well.

âBecause one martini turns into two, you know,â Jagger explained. âThat would begin the party sequence of the day. Everyone in the control room dancing.â

Sign in to follow this