Rate this song

On calomel

On calomel, prepared by precipitation from a solution of crystallized protomtrate of mercury, with muriate of soda which was repeatedly washed with warm distilled water, with solution of muriate of ammonia and with warm alcohol, I dropped a small quantity of potass water. A reddish powder was very distinctly observable. When sufficient alkali was added to decompose all tho calomei, the powder was of a brownish black color, and when dry contained visible globules of metal. This shows tbe fallacy of one of the reputed tests for the purity of calomel.Novaculue in Georgia.Extract of a leer to the Editor. front inr.jxeenev. aaiea " jf?arf wemoie Academy:" Jan. h%. "i tane ine uoeriv oi aaaressina vou rei&tive to a mineral which I have been examining, and pronounced novacuhte. believing it identical, if not with the Turkey oil stone, with that found in N. Carolina, and described. I think, in the thirteentn volume oi ine American journal oi science anci Arts. , kfc since i came to in is conclusion, i oousnea a snecimen of it, and Tory Burch Sale prepared it by boiling in oil. after the manner of% the Turkey oil stones, and put it into the hands of a carpenter. who. after trial, pronounced it' a Turkey oil stone of a suoerior auauiv.' " This mineral is found in Lincoln and Oglethorpe counties. ijeorsia. i nave recenuv. visuea me locality m Lincoln. . ii is situaiea on a low nni, aoout two nines irom Liincomton courtnouse. it is seen Droiecunir aoove tne surface ot tne earin.tnrouan iour or nve acresoi srounu. and is teretore orooaoi?auite extensive, it is louna verv mucn inclined, or nearly in a vertical position. There are several varieties of color in the same locality. That which is found exoosea to ine aimosonere. is mostly ox a veuowisn straw color: out tnat wnien is taiien irorn oeneatn tne surface ot " ine earin. ismosti? ox a ereenisn wnite. a xair snecimen oi which I now send you."Prof. D. Olmsted, to whom we have exhibited the above named specimen, and who, from Tory Burch Flats his familiarity with the extensive ocas oi novaceme m norm aroima, is wen ouaiinea to judge, agrees in opinion with Mr. Keeuey ; and if it were of any importance, we could add our own Tory Burch Outlet assent.

Leave feedback

Leave an honest comment below. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Leave feedback...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.