Sign in to follow this  
2dopeboyz

André 3000 Speaks: The 11 Most Impactful Quotes From André's 2014 Interviews

Rate this topic

Andre 3000André 3000 hasn't done many interviews over the course of the last few years. Part of it is because he hasn't had many projects—er, make that any projects—to promote, and part of it is because he doesn't really seem to enjoy sitting down and talking about himself. But in the last week or two, he's been forced to sit down with publication after publication to promote his new movie, Jimi: All Is By My Side, his tour with OutKast, and, most importantly, his life and his career. And it's been very enlightening for his fans.

It's been a bit tough to keep up with, though, because Three Stacks has been everywhere. But if you've missed any of his interviews, don't sweat it. Here's a compilation of the 11 best quotes from his recent press run for Jimi. —Chris Yuscavage

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 with APThe Quote: "I had to grow into being an entertainer and Jimi had to grow into being an entertainer, too. I can say from being an entertainer and a star, my very first shows were horrible. The shyness. You're put on stage in front of all of these people, and you're kind of in your head a lot. It takes the confidence of knowing, 'Hey, people dig this.'"

The Publication: Associated Press

Why We Loved It: It's kind of crazy to think about a young André 3000 getting up in front of a crowd and putting on a terrible show. But we're sure that's what happened, and he's not afraid to embrace those moments that helped mold him into the artist that he is today.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 with Rolling StoneThe Quote: "I honestly wish that I could make a dope rap album, but I know it would be something else. I've always known that there comes a time when you're just not as hip. It happens to everybody, and it has nothing to do with talent. It has to do with intensity and time and the world growing around you."

The Publication: Rolling Stone

Why We Loved It: André 3000 is a dope artist. He's proved it in the past. But this quote exposes him as a man who worries about whether or not people would embrace what he has to say on records in 2014. There's a certain vulnerability in that quote that is really admirable.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 with NYTThe Quote: "I remember, at like 25, saying, 'I don't want to be a 40-year-old rapper.' I'm 39 now, and I'm still standing by that. I'm such a fan that I don't want to infiltrate it with old blood."

The Publication: The New York Times

Why We Loved It: Throughout his entire press run, André 3000 has toyed with our emotions with regards to the idea of him retiring. He hasn't come out and said that he's thinking about doing it, but he has said stuff like this that leaves his future both in doubt and full of mystery. So it'll be interesting to see what he actually does with his music moving forward.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 in EsquireThe Quote: "Never let your right hand know what your left hand is doing. That came from my mom. She was saying you don't have to be so open and revealing to everybody—especially the people close to you."

The Publication: Esquire

Why We Loved It: André 3000 has always kept to himself and refused to let the public get too close to him. But apparently, that's just the way that he is. According to this quote, he's not quick to be open and revealing to anyone, not even those who are very close to him.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre in TimeThe Quote: "I still am a fan of the music, but it's kind of like it's not the wonder years of it. I'm not comparing myself to [Michael] Jordan in any kind of fashion, but you know when Jordan goes and plays a celebrity basketball game and shoots a little bit? That's kind of what it feels like. Like, you know, you're going to just shoot around a little bit and then you go back home."

The Publication: Time

Why We Loved It: MJ doesn't play in many celebrity basketball games. But we get what André 3000 was trying to say here. He doesn't feel at home in the studio anymore, just like MJ doesn't feel at home on the basketball court. It's a nice analogy that lets us know why André doesn't spend more time making music and performing it.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 in BillboardThe Quote: "It's kind of like growing up in a house with your brother, people expecting y'all to live in the same room and have bunk beds forever. And people try to read into it and say people are beefing. But it's nothing like that, man. Big Boi will always be my brother and a really important part of my life."

The Publication: Billboard

Why We Loved It: There have been rumors about beef between André 3000 and Big Boi for years now. But the truth is that they've both just grown a lot. That doesn't mean that they're not still close. It just means that they're not the same people that they were 20, 10, or even five years ago.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 in New York TimesThe Quote: "I'm an idealist. What I get off on is doing things people said could not be done. And so if I'm at a place where I feel like I'm regurgitating or doing the same thing, it's doing nothing for me. I get bored really fast."

The Publication: The New York Times

Why We Loved It: This quote tells us exactly why André 3000 hasn't created much music on his own in recent years. It's not that he doesn't want to. It's that he's at a place in his life where he can't just do the same things that he's done already.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre in EssenceThe Quote: "We see these stars. That's the business of making it big. What resonates is seeing that human side knowing that Jimi was nervous. Knowing that he didn't like his voice. Knowing that it actually took a minute for him to get comfortable."

The Publication: Essence

Why We Loved It: While talking about the kind of person that Jimi Hendrix was, André 3000 also lets us in on a little secret. That secret? That not all celebrities are as confident in themselves as you'd think they are. And that includes André himself.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 in Time MagazineThe Quote: "You can't say the state of [rap] is horrible or bad. It's just life. It's just a day. Some days are more exciting than others, but at the end of the day, it's like, these are people's expressions. I hate when people come up to me in public, in the street, and they say, 'Aw, man, don't you think rap sucks?' Or, 'Don't you think this is not real music?' I'm thinking in my mind: 'What do you mean real music?' What does that mean?…It's just unfair to say what's real and what's not."

The Publication: Time

Why We Loved It: Everyone is quick to criticize rap music in 2014. There are plenty of people who wish that more artists would rap like André used to rap. But the truth is that rap is not in as much trouble as you think it is. It's not the same as it once was, but that doesn't mean that it's "horrible or bad," as André points out.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 in NPRThe Quote: "I don't care how great you are. I've learned, being in the industry, it ain't really about talent. It's about—like, it's 90 percent feeling and timing and 5 percent talent, to be honest. You can be the most talented person in the world, but if you ain't doing nothing with it and you're not connecting with the people or you're not at that moment—it does not matter."

The Publication: NPR

Why We Loved It: No matter what industry you work in, this is a great quote to keep in mind. It's nice to be a talented person. But it takes more than just talent to be successful. And it's wonderful to hear someone like André talking about that.

Photo Credit: Getty Images Andre 3000 in BillboardThe Quote: "At one time, Picasso made really beautiful classical pieces. Then he started putting eyes here and there, because he had to. And then, he stopped painting altogether and sculpted. You got to give people a chance. And if you don't like that part of their journey, just turn off. Go to someone else at that point."

The Publication: Billboard

Why We Loved It: André is going to keep creating stuff. It might be music. It might be movies. Hell, it might be some kind of physical art that you can hold in your hands. And while it might not be exactly what you want him to create, it'll be there if you want it. You just have to be patient and wait for him to figure out what's next.

Photo Credit: Getty Images