Sign in to follow this  
2dopeboyz

The BIG Cosign: Five Reasons You Should Listen To Tinashe Right Now

Rate this topic

Tinashe is June's BIG Cosign. Talented, gorgeous and bearing a name you can’t pronounce, Tinashe (pronounced Tee-NAH-shay) is currently scorching-hot right now. The 21-year-old singer has been teasing us with her sultry hit “2 On” (feat. ScHoolboy Q) and anticipation for her RCA Records debut Aquarius (out this summer) is growing by the day.

All are reasons why we've selected Tinashe as VIBE's first-ever The BIG Cosign, a distinction that carries with it a month-long feature highlighting music's next name to invade your iTunes. Think our "Next" staple on 'roids. Every week of June you'll get to know the L.A. native (by way of Kentucky) a little better via text or video pieces.

First up, for the newbies, let's get you acquainted with the depths of Tinashe's talents. Here are five reasons you need to stop what you're doing, slap on some headphones and listen up, immediately. —Sowmya Krishnamurthy Tinashe is unique.

1. She’s Unique

Born Tinashe Jorgensen Kachingwe, Tinashe is a true original. The beauty was born to a Zimbabwean father and an Irish/Norwegian/Danish mother. Her name means “God is with us” in the Shona language. If that isn't exotic enough, this lovable dork says that she’s “obsessed” with politics and believes in aliens.

Your favorite rappers already love Tinashe.

2. Your Favorite Rappers Already Love Her

Hip-hop cosigns are worth their weight in platinum and Tinashe is already in good company. ScHoolboy Q blessed her DJ Mustard -produced single “2 On” before star-maker Drake hops on his rendition, “2 On/Thotful,” with funny pal OB O’Brien. Not one to drink the Drake Kool-Aid, Tinashe joked, “I think he did it justice, he put his own spin on it obviously. I prefer the original version, but I may be a little bit biased.”

Tinashe is a quadruple threat

3. She's A Quintuple Threat:

That's right, quintuple. As in five: Singer, songwriter, dancer, model, actress. Before making a living off her pipes, Tinashe had stints as a former baby model and actress since she was six. Her on-screen resume includes appearances like Two And A Half Men with Charlie Sheen and The Polar Express with Tom Hanks. Peep her performance Tuesday (June 3) in Brooklyn for a taste of her high-energy choreography.

Tinashe has paid her musical dues

4. She’s Paid Her Music Dues

She may be new as a solo star, but Tinashe has lived music her whole life. She started dancing when she was four and has been singing since she could talk. Later, she joined the girl group The Stunners. Initially signed to Columbia Records and later Universal, the fivesome earned major points with kiddie fans by touring with Justin Bieber and being featured on the iCarly soundtrack.

Tinashe keeps it 100

5. She Keeps It 100

Many young singers lose creative control of their careers, but even from onset, Tinashe has stuck to her guns. “The music that I’m putting out now is 100 percent created, thought up, written, and recorded by me,” she told Soul Culture way back in 2012. Want proof? Her debut mixtape In Case We Die was created in her bedroom in its entirety. Several of her videos are self-directed (see the uber-creative "BOSS," below).

Tinashe's mixtape discography Now that you're familiar, catch up! Here are Tinashe's three free releases: In Case We Die, Reverie, and Black Water

In Case We Die (2012)

Reverie (2012)

Black Water (2013)

And get your stalker on here:

IG: @tinashenow

TW: @tinashe