Sign in to follow this  
2dopeboyz

Review: Art Imitates Life On Shakira And Rihanna's ‘Can't Remember To Forget You’

Rate this topic

Shakira and Rihanna link up for their anticipated duet, "Can't Remember To Forget You."

Oh, that Shakira. She’s a crafty one. The Columbian bombshell has mastered the art of the savvy team-up following the triple platinum triumph of her English-speaking debut, 2001’s Laundry Service. With that career-evolving gamble out of the way, the singer-songwriter-belly dancer hit the studio with Fugees mastermind Wyclef Jean for easily 2006’s most unlikely duet “Hips Don’t Lie,” a polished, and quite frankly, sexy reggaeton workout that topped the American and global charts. The music gods then blessed Shakira with the gloriously stimulating 2007 single (and video!!!) “Beautiful Liar,” a hip swerving dream pairing with the Bootylicious One—Beyoncé.

Flash forward to 2014, and Shakira’s not messing around. “Can’t Remember to Forget You,” the first single from her upcoming album, is a pin-up worthy collaboration with pop’s preeminent bad girl Rihanna, bathing in similar steamy waters as “Beautiful Liar.” It also helps that the part-time The Voice judge and Rih-Rih both are card-carrying members of the weird-yet-highly-marketable voice club.

“I left a note on my bedpost/Said not to repeat yesterday's mistakes/What I tend to do when it comes to you,” purrs Shakira on a track that strikes an intriguing resemblance to Bruno Mars’ rock-n-reggae-by-Police inflected “Locked Out of Heaven.”

Of course, pop music has long taken on the you’re-no-good tug-of-war. But it takes on a surreal energy with the likes of Rihanna handling the reigns. When she follows up Shakira’s helpless plea with the ironic lyrics, “I go back again/Fall off the train/Land in his bed/Repeat yesterday's mistakes,” you are instantly reminded of her turbulent love affair with Chris Brown. It’s a reality that gives “Can’t Remember to Forget You,” for lack of better words, it’s balls. —Keith Murphy (@murphdogg29)