HipHopBlog

Macklemore Defends "Thrift Shop"

Rate this topic

''I Think That I'm Rapping My A** Off''
6:00AM ET May 22nd, 2013
Contributor : Martin James
A Rocky Williform Company

Eminem Files Lawsuit Against Facebook

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have garnered widespread popularity and widespread criticism for their oddball hit "Thrift Shop." The duo spoke to XXL about the backlash--in particular, a New York Times article that questioned the authenticity of the duo's music.

âI think that the dude who wrote that probably hasnât listened to the whole album. When a song like âThrift Shopâ becomes a part of popular culture and soccer moms are bumping it and 5-year-olds are singing, âThis is f**king awesome,â itâs really easy to go in with a scalpel and dissect it and scrutinize the sh*t out of it,â Macklemore explained. âIf it was somebody else who made the song, Iâd probably do the same thing, particularly if it was two white dudes. But I still think âThrift Shopâ is a really great record. I think that the beatâs slapping, I think that Iâm rapping my a** off, and I think that it has a really catchy chorus, and those things came together and made a record that crossed over to pop.â

âOr on the flip side of that is looking to make what is current,â said Lewis. âThatâs why I think somebody like Kanye is absolutely phenomenal, because he continues to come out with something that nobody else has and he redefines what the standard is to an acceptable hip-hop beat or an acceptable cadence or subject matter. Itâs the reason why he is a trailblazer in the genre.â

âWhen you see people who have longevity in this industry, itâs people who reinvented themselves. Jay-Z, although Reasonable Doubt is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, Jay-Z hasnât made 15 Reasonable Doubts. Some people wish that he would, but people evolve, artists evolve, and music evolves,â Macklemore added.

Sign in to follow this