HipHopBlog

Big K.R.I.T. Inspired By His Dad

Rate this topic

Rapper's Father Introduced Him To Scarface
8:30PM ET January 5th, 2012
Contributor : Chris G.
A Rocky Williform Company

Big K.R.I.T. Inspired By His Dad

Big K.R.I.T. recently discussed how his father inspired his track "Time Machine." The tune is on K.R.I.T.'s acclaimed "Return of 4Eva" mixtape, and the rapper/producer explained how far back the song goes into his personal history.

âFirst verse of âTime Machine,â riding around in my uncleâs car, my momâs side. It was green and it wasnât the best on the inside, but it was just the leather and the smell,â he said. âIf anybody ever rolled in an old school car, itâs like the exhaust is real. Itâs just that whole atmosphere and for me to have an old school car in my time machine when I ride, it takes me back to my childhood.â

âI remember cleaning out one of my dadâs old closets and I found a gang of tapes. There was a Geto Boys tape. I was like, âYo pops, what is this? Letâs listen to it.â âMind Playing Tricks on Meâ was one of those records that really stuck with me. Even being able to see the video and remembering how scary it was to see Bushwick Bill punching the ground and sh*t. From that point on, just really growing up and following Scarface, it was only right that I mentioned it, because my pops was literally the first person that was like, âYo, thatâs Scarface.â