Rate this song

2drhxde.jpg

"Break Your Heart" was originally penned for Cheryl Cole. The R&B star said that he wrote two songs for Cole's debut solo album, but her record label did not contact him about the tracks. "I wrote a couple of songs for Cheryl Cole, and 'Break Your Heart' was one of them, 'Stand Up' was another one, which is on her album, but we sent both of the songs to her record label and we didn't really hear back from them," Cruz told MTV News. "We just thought if they're not going to get back to us, we'll just carry on moving so I took it back, and changed the verses and made it work for a guy and then put it out." Cruz also added that the label got back to him after they had listened to a track but the song had already been sent to radio and would have been difficult to get back.[7]

The song was written and produced by Cruz and Fraser T. Smith and was released on September 14, 2009.[8] It debuted at #1 in the UK becoming the singer's first UK number one single.[5] The song achieved similar success on the Irish Singles Chart peaking at #2, becoming Cruz's first Top 10 single in that region.[5]

Speaking of the song's lyrical background, Cruz told noted R&B writer Pete Lewis of the award-winning Blues & Soul: "Its about breaking a girl's heart, but in a way that's kinda not on purpose. It's more that I'm just a single guy, trying to BE single and trying to REMAIN single. And sometimes, when you are in that place, you get girls who wanna be a part of what you're about - but, because you're not really ready for a relationship, those girls can end up being heartbroken. So what I'm basically saying is 'I might just break your heart. But I'm only gonna break your heart if you come through this way right now'."[9]

Cruz stated on his twitter that the song will be released in America. FMQB & AllAccess reported that the song would be serviced to American CHR/Pop & Rhythmic radio stations officially on February 2nd 2010. The American version features a rap from Ludacris.

So far the song has reached #38 on the Billboard Rhythmic Top 40 Airplay chart.

DOWNLOAD NOW!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Leave feedback

Leave an honest comment below. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Leave feedback...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.