Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Dupri

Pharrell’s Comments On #NewBlack Strikes Nerves

Rate this topic

WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS

pharrell-adidas.jpg

On “the new black” The new black doesn’t blame other races for our issues. The new black dreams and realizes that it’s not a pigmentation, it’s a mentality. It’s either going to work for you or it’s going to work against you and you’ve got to pick which side you’re gonna be on. You choose to be on. The name of my album is not called race, it’s called G I R L. It’s for the female species. That’s number one. Number two, my mama is black. My mom is a huge part of my business. My wife is black. There are certain people who allow the delusion in the mirror, in their own mirrors, to become issues. You should not find confidence outside of your mirror. Why are you sharing your delusion? Whatever that space is between you and your mirror, what does that have to do with me? This is my work. I recognize that there are issues. We get judged on our skin. I just stated that there hadn’t been an African-American like…so we look at things like that. I don’t allow that to run my life. I don’t live my life trying to be black. What I do is, I nurture my curiosity and use it. I’m proud to be what I am. So my thing is, the new black is a mentality. You don’t do things because you’re black. You do things because you’re genuinely interested in something. Is there a lot of black in equality? Absolutely! But I’m the main one waving the flag. What do you mean? Don’t find your confidence in a cover. Find your confidence in the mirror. -

as young man, who is mixed, i completely relate to what pharrell is stating on the basis of not defining oneself in merely pigmentation alone, and further basing ones entire structure on such. With that being said i am proud of both my heritage (on both aspects) both the high points of our species and the low points that many try to ignore or sweep under the rug of progressive civilization.Me saying these words do not change the fact that when i walk into a room people normally define me as "the big black dude with tattoos all over his body." but i do not let this physical misrepresentation define me in my actions, pursuits, personal goals, or demean my way of life. i feel that as the new generation we must advance this provoking thought of."the time is now to grasp our own destines and not let the definition of our history sway our paths to enlightenment and personal growth'"  this is something we must teach our future. we must show them that even with all things standing against you, one still can persevere and reach levels beyond their own potential. -rantings of a grey kid

Leave feedback

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this