Sign in to follow this  
2dopeboyz

What Now: 4 Unanswered Questions Following Drake's 'Draft Day'

Rate this topic

Drake responded to Jay Z's shots on So Drake went ahead and took my advice, responding to Jay Z calling him out on his remix of "We Made It." Well done, Mr. Drizzy. But the "Draft Day" track, which shouts out NFL top prospect Johnny Manziel, has left even more questions in its aftermath, adding to the soap opera script that hip-hop has become. What are the implications of Drake's latest? Read on to find out. —John Kennedy Did Drake bite J. Cole?

Did Drake listen to "Cole Summer" on repeat before recording "Draft Day"?

We all know Drake and J. Cole are homies who influence each other. But the similarities between “Draft Day” and “Cole Summer,” which J. Cole released on a late April 2013 night, border on mimicry. Just listen for yourself:

“I think I need to let it go” vs. “You know I had to do it for ya”

Lauryn Hill’s “Nothing Even Matters” sample vs. Lauryn HIll’s “Doo Wop (That Thing)” sample

Crushing on Tia and Tamara Mowry vs. Crushing on Jennifer Lawrence

Shade to Stargate vs. Shade to Chance The Rapper

Drake tweeted how impressed he was with Cole's record last year. Did he try to make his own version?

COLE SUMMER!!! Haaaaa. That's my brother man. Bars too real. Too ill.

— Drizzy (@Drake)

April 30, 2013

Why did Drake diss Chance The Rapper?

What’s up with the dig at Chance The Rapper?

From A$AP Rocky to Kendrick Lamar to Future to J. Cole, Drake has always been the biggest supporter of his rap contemporaries. So why would he take an random dig at Chance The Rapper, who is clearly rap’s next breakout artist? Is this simply Drake flexing him lyrical muscle, or his own version of Jedi Mind Tricks to distract you from Jay’s shots on his own Jay Electronica-assisted version of “We Made It”?

Even more interesting is the question of whether the Chicago newbie will jab back. Battling doesn’t seem to be his steez, but lyrically Chance is one to be toyed with. How does Rihanna feel about Drake flirting with Jennifer Lawrence?

How does Rihanna feel about Drake flirting with Jennifer Lawrence in song?

Ever the charmer, Drake spits game at J. Law (“Jennifer Lawrence, you can really get it”) despite clearly having it bad for Ri Ri (see: "Days In The East"). Is Drake merely saying what we're all thinking, or angling for a threesome (as TMZ suggests)? Keep watch on the gossip blogs for these two creepin' around town. Will Jay Z and Kanye West clap back at Drake?

Does this accelerate production of "Watch The Throne II"?

In August, Kanye admitted that his collaboration album with Jay Z was spurred by the great music that Drake was creating. The Cold War seemed to be over until Drake’s reckless talk about Yeezus and Jay’s art obsession in Rolling Stone. And now, while Drizzy deflects Jay’s shots with lines like “We all do it for the art so I can never hate though” and “Just hits, no misses, that's for the married folk,” there are pointier threats and barbs directed at an unnamed rival: “You keep eggin' me on/And we gonna have to crack a shell just to prove to you, you ain't hard boiled.” Jay is a chess player, and Kanye is always one for competition, so this is far from finished. With Drake also taking a questionable shot at Kanye (“They too worried 'bout bitches and fashion, they go missin' in action”), don’t be surprised if Kanye and Jay are in the studio right now working on the follow-up to Watch The Throne.

Leave feedback

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this