Rate this song

• 2 weeks later...

Z2J60V.jpg

Born to Mr. Eddy Ganja, a Ugandan music legend, Soloist and vocalist with the Afrigo band, Mc Norman real names Mutebi Ronald, at the age of 12 started off his music career in Afrigo band working with Joanita Kawalya and Peterson Mutebi way back in 1987.

He later joined mm disco sound, Missouri night club and worked with guyz like the late ivan matama, dj lubba style and Rhino kalemba before joining Jose chameleon and Dj bernazor as dancers and Mcs for Missouri club every Wednesday and Friday.

Mc Norman is a widely acknowledged Mc after working with Sam Amooti and paddy at Jaaja Ansinansi and working at vibration disco club alongside junior plies compious, dj Roberto, dj Henry and Lota back in the days.

He joined his brother and former Bakayimbira Drama actors Philip Ganja in South Africa in 1998 after briefly working at vibes sound.

Together with his brother, Norman started a music and films Production company under their father’s name “Ganja†music production to basically help upgrade talent.

The two brothers have worked with some of the top South African Kwaito artists including Arthur Mafokate, the late Zombo, Purity and Penny penny the Shangani music star.

Their Film Company has produced movies like “welcome to south Africa†which sold up to 2million copies in Uganda and 5000 copies in South Africa on the day of its release. They also produced “Buladina†, a tribute film about the life of fallen star Paul Kafero.

Mc Norman released singles like “I remember the day, Agayaaye Feat King Saha, Nkubira Feat Papa Cidy, Sweet Babe , and Ndiyabuza alongside Rustenburg based South African top vocalist.

A Reggae Music Journey and inspiration

When Lucky Dube died, it seems he took with him not only his rare legacy, but reggae as a whole. Few musician even dare to do reggae songs these days and yet it is still a relevant genre because young international musos such as Melanie Fiona and Rihanna are still releasing a reggae song or two on their albums.

The Marley brothers still tour and if Lauryn Hill gets over what made her leave the game, even she could drop an instant reggae hit.

Yet no one on the local scene is willing to try out the Jamaican sound, well, until Mc Norman (pictured) stepped onto the scene.

The Ugandan singer, who is based in South Africa, emerged on the scene when the music industry needed a hero. Let’s face it, we have all the house, rock and hip hop music to last last a couple of years.

With Jah Seed seemingly retired from the music scene it is a little gloomy for the conscious reggae heads.Which is why it is refreshing to have a new voice to the dying genre who is set to change things in a big way.

His album Lover’s Rock boasts 11 tracks that have deep reggae roots yet are tweaked to meet current musical trends.

“I write music from things that I experience in my life,†said the animated singer.

“I write a song so many times as therapy for the things that I go through. As we speak I have about 275 unreleased songs that just came from stuff I was going through.†

If you have a listen to the refreshing Lover’s Rock you will wish you had the 275 cuts on one CD, but for now we have to be patient.

The album starts off with I Remember The Day, a well put together joint that speaks of reminiscing of a time when love first started.

“No matter how hard you try, you can never forget the first time you met the one you love. This is where I took the idea of this song from. The first meeting is always a special one because everyone is still curious and they don’t know much about each other so they enjoy the curiosity,†he said.

For someone who is not originally from Jamaica it is interesting that his patois is on point. You would think Buju Banton or Beanie Man was on the mic.

But being born to Eddy and Rossette Ganja in Uganda in 1975, when reggae and ragga were the staple sounds, there was no escape for the young Mc Norman.

He grew up with a rich background in break dancing and soon shifted his talents to songwriting and singing. After deciding to move to South Africa, Mc Norman soon discovered that he had found a niche with his sound.

“I am not competing with kwaito,R&B, or Afro-pop. I am just doing something totally different.

“People love reggae and, let’s face it, no one is doing it,†he explained.

To make his presence felt and perhaps spread the appreciation of his genre, Mc Norman has been working at incorporating local artists.

“I have been communicating with the Lucky Dube Band and there may be something coming out of that.

“Also, I am working hard at establishing the culture of karaoke in South Africa because in Jamaica that helps people appreciate new music there.†

Sined to BET for a single contrack for his single Ndiyabuza which was used as a sound track in the holy wood movies 
like: What my husband doesn't know, American Gangster and The Game 
Nominee 2014 best new entertainer (IRAWMA ) music awards in florida miami
Nominee: 2014/2015 AFRIMMA music awards (best african dancehall artist 

Follow @mcnormanganja on twitter!

http://facebook.com/ugandanreggaestar

http://soundcloud.com/mc-norman

http://youtube.com/mcnormanganja

http://itunes.apple.com/za/artist/mc-norman/id357715611

bam bam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Leave feedback

Leave an honest comment below. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Leave feedback...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.